Monday 16 September 2013

Stunning Electrical Storms Over Mumbai

Hello

I was excited last night to almost get the settings right on my new Nikon camera, and be able to take photos of the awesome electrical storms that have been hanging over Mumbai for the last couple of days.

I made the little collage below - the changing colour of the night sky was so beautiful (even if the view in front isn't particularly attractive!).  It was also interesting to capture the lighting as it moved sideways in the distance.




To get this result I set my camera up on a tripod and used a shutter release cable. I switched the mode to Manual and set the ISO really low - between 100 and 200 and aperture F5.6.  Shutter speed put on 'bulb' mode.  This means you when you hear the thunder, you can press the button on the shutter release cable and keep it open until the lighting appears...then you take your thumb off the button to close the shutter.  Et Voila!  Thanks to Jayanth Sharma on my Toehold photography course for teaching me the technique.

As this was my first go, there is obviously a lot of improvement to be made - I would love to capture a classic photograph of the whole sky filled with lightning. 

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Happy new camera! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to with it.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE DO LEAVE YOUR THOUGHTS, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.